Monday, December 17, 2007

C is for cookies

This last week I have been baking like a fool. Michael and I have started, or maybe just continued, a tradition of giving goodie bags out to friends and neighbors at Christmas. It is a lot of fun for me because I get to have an excuse to bake a ton, and a lot of fun for the family because we get to go out together and listen to Christmas music, and a lot of fun for friends because they get a bit of holiday cheer brought to their home by us. It's just a win-win situation for everyone, or rather a win-win-win situation. :)

So on Tuesday I started my baking, and it went straight on through until Saturday. Maybe I over did it, but here is what I made:

Tuesday: Peanut butter cookies, with kisses on top

Snickerdoodles

Wednesday: German star cookies with jam

Pumpkin cookies

Thursday: Chocolate chip cookies

Rolo cookies

Friday: 18 mini loaves of whole wheat bread, plus 4 large for us

Saturday: Almond Carmel chocolates

Honey Butter


Yeah, so I am pretty crazy I know. I wasn't planning on making the peanut butter cookies, until I got invited to join in on a cookie swap with some friends. Which of course means I had even more baked goods from the 3 other friends. Needless to say, we were "swimming in a sea of cookies," as Michael said. I probably went through 6 pounds of butter, 20 pounds of flour, 10 pounds of sugar, and a few dozen eggs. Oh the joys of the holidays. I really did have a lot of fun doing it all, but I was sure glad to get rid of the stuff. Who knows how many pounds I would have gained if that stuff stayed!

Yesterday we put together 16 bags of goodies together, bread on the bottom, a bag of 10 cookies, 4 candies, a deal of honey butter, and if I am not "Martha Stewart" enough a cinnamon ornament stapled to the bag. And then off we went to deliver our treats. Emma couldn't have been better through out this entire process. She had a great time eating dough, throwing sugar and flour, and then calmly sitting in the car for two hours. I do think she is ready to get a little more attention from Mom and a little less of the TV. :) I can't say that I blame her.



Emma helping

Who doesn't like cookie dough, although I think it gave her a tummy ache

The fruits of our labors

One of the cookies swap plates

10 comments:

Crystal said...

My goodness!! You are for sure Martha! Everything looks delish.

Abby said...

Mmmmm...YUMMY! And you are so awesome. Those sixteen families better appreciate it! :-) I know I would!!

I want your recipes for honey butter and wheat bread...but I'll get them from you next week when I SEE YOU! :)

MariePhotographie said...

Wow!!!! That is REALLY impressive!
Yum yum. :)

Ali said...

I am moving to wherever it is that you live... and we'll be good friends. Mmmmmm... how much did that cost?! No, not the calorie count (who cares, about that!)... I am talking in price of ingredients?

SOOOOOO good.

Unknown said...

wow - I think Martha has some competition! Good for you and good for those recipients!!

Tiffany said...

Way to go! We have the same tradition and this was the first year that we weren't able to bake everything in one day (because of kiddos). It took us about the same number of days as it took you. But in the end it's all worth it! Merry Christmas!

Rae said...

Oh, Anna!! How I miss you Hansons! I want to be at your house right now. (And not just for the cookies, I promise.)

AnnEE said...

You are amazing. And your pearls look AWESOME!!!

Kirstin said...

Go, Anna Go! It sounds like Texas is treating you very well. And you are treating Texans VERY WEll, too. Way to go on the treats. I tried that too and it was fun to cook and to share. I think some of the recipients got way too many plates, though, so I might try making something different next year, whether food or something else. You're AWESOME!!!!

Heidi said...

Anna, may I get the recipe for the German star cookies with jam? I love any recipes from Germany, I miss it so much!

I'm hthaden@gmail.com if you ever have a spare moment to send it! :) Thanks!!