Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Oh My!

A few weeks ago we thought Emma was taking a nice Sunday nap. We did find it to be a little odd that at the end of her nap we heard her pulling out drawers, instead of the usual banging on the door to be let out. Instead of being the smart parents and seeing what she was doing, we just let her stay in her room thinking how nice it was that she was just "playing." After ten minutes or so we did finally decide that it was time to get her out since we were having friends over soon. Boy did we get the shock of our lives.
Yes, there was a reason that Emma was pulling out her drawers. She knew that I left the Penaten, a very very thick German diaper cream, in the top drawer. When we opened the door, not only did the room smell pretty stinky, but we also found Emma ...


covered in the stuff, as well as her stuffed animal (which was a special gift to me from my mother about 15 years ago, I know, I'm smart)...


the pig, as well as the floor, and parts of her bed generously given a good smearing of the stuff.

When asked why she did it, she pointed to her bum and said, "Yucky." We then added everything up, the smearing, the yucky smell, and reason she got the Penaten in the first place, when we saw her chair used as a potty...


Yep, that is poop on her chair. Don't worry I will spare posting the up close pictures, that Michael felt the need to photograph. Needless to say we had a fun time cleaning all of that up, counting our blessings that the poop was only on the chair and not smeared everywhere too, and also trying not to laugh too hard in front of her hoping she wouldn't go on to think this was acceptable. Man there are days you wonder why you decided to become parents.
Oh and don't worry, about 2 weeks later, when Emma was deciding not to take a nap, I was a little quicker, but this time no Penaten, only poop smeared on the floor. And then to add to the fun clean ups, Emma locked herself into my bathroom and by the time I was able to get in, she had a generous amount of hair wax and root lifter in her hair. It has been a fun month. :)
I guess with the latter situation I should be grateful she only locked herself into a bathroom that was easy to unlock, as opposed to her locking Michael and me out of the house, like she did on Sunday.
Yep, on Sunday, while we were putting together a recently painted bookshelf, Emma went into the house and locked the door. Thankfully I was holding Isaac, so Emma was the only child in the house. She immediately started freaking out when we all realized that we couldn't get in. We then spent the next 40 minutes trying to get Emma to unlock a door, whether it was the garage door, the front door, or the back door. Sadly she just wasn't figuring it out and she started to act a little dazed as a way to cope with it all. Thankfully we have WONDERFUL neighbors who let me go into their house with Isaac, while Kevin broke the lock on our garage door so we could finally get in, while Michael was trying to distract Emma at the back door.
When we finally got in Emma ran up to Michael, gave him a hug, and said, close to tears, "I love you Daddy." I guess the lesson learned here is, don't put together bookshelves on a Sunday evening. :)
It has been a fun few weeks, and while Emma has been a handful, I am go glad she keeps life interesting.

8 comments:

Rae said...

I have to say....it's comforting to read about normal childhood behavior!! :)

MariePhotographie said...

Wow!! That's quite the run of events! :) Good thing kids are cute, huh? And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has kids that are into everything!

Christine said...

Wow, that's a busy month! It's true, if they're in their room and "just playing" it's usually something that needs checking on. Good luck!

Crystal said...

Aaaaahhh!! Two-year-olds are messy.

J.Reed said...

I know how you feel! I think you are handling things better than me :)

Kirstin said...

The diaper cream story sounds so familiar. And I'm not surprised that the locking out thing would come to a toddler's mind. I am grateful Lia hasn't been able to reach our lock. She sounds like she'll create a lot of memories for you to laugh at, LATER.

Cristina HW said...

oh man! i feel for you! alcott poop painted the walls above her crib, when she was that age, a couple of times during time out. i totally freaked out, and at her next visit to the doc asked about it. the doc laughed at me and said, "well, she was mad at you. alcott was obviously telling you, 'i'm going to crap on you mommy!'" hahahahaha

Unknown said...

wow! did THAT ever make me thankful that my little one is grown!! Whew! What a mess- but it looked like you handled it beautifully!! Thanks for the laugh too! (it's always easy to laugh when it's not happening to you, right?)