Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Emma is 3

Since Emma was turning 3 right after we moved here to Bloomington, and we weren't going to meet any new friends yet, I wanted to throw a small party for Emma right before we left San Antonio. While life was really crazy, we literally moved a week after the party, I still felt the need to do this for Emma. Needless to say with selling the house and having well over 70 showings in 3 months I was pretty stressed. But, I thought a small party with about 5 or so other friends would be really easy. I guess I didn't realize how brain dead I really was at this point. It took me forever to think of something to do, but I finally came up with making english muffin pizzas, and while those cooked I would have the kids run around playing bubbles, since that is one of Emma's favorite activities from nursery, and then after pizza, juice boxes, and carrot sticks, the kids could have fun with finger paints. Well, it sounded good on paper, but once we were there with everyone it all felt a bit chaotic, and not as calm as I naively thought a bunch of 3 year olds would be. Thankfully the other moms were all really helpful and understanding and just let things roll with the punches. ( I don't think it helped me that while we were getting ready for the party to start I got calls to have 2 other showings, one of which was a second showing, which of course I had to cancel.) Oh well, it all worked out in the end, the kids made big messes, ate cupcakes, opened presents, and ultimately gave Emma the party she needed. I will say next time I throw a toddler party, probably when Emma turns 5, I will be a little more prepared, and a little less stressed.


Finger painting, and Emma holding our bubble maker



Oh the joys of opening presents, everyone wants a turn. But Emma handled it really well, and in the end all were happy.

Well since we had Emma's friend party before her birthday, we naturally had a family party on her actually birthday. It was kind of fun because Oma and Opa were still here from helping us move. I made skillet lasagna, bread, corn, and salad for her dinner. And we had a chocolate Carmel cheesecake as her birthday cake, what can I say she loves cheesecake and any excuse I have to make one, I will take it. For her presents she got a couple of playdough packs from Oma and Opa, which she has spent hours playing with, a doctor set from us, and a bike from Grandma and Grandpa, which she learned how to ride really fast, and wants to ride to the park everyday. Thanks all for making her day so special, we were so happy to see her enjoy both her party in San Antonio and Bloomington.









2 comments:

Amber said...

Hey Anna! Cute Blog. I found you through my sister's blog. I noticed your "I Am Special Plate" you had for Emma's birthday dinner...I ate off of the same plate almost every year for my birthday growing up! It was always a highlight.

Chrispy Critter said...

We love the YOu are Special Plate! So glad you are here!