Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Emma Turns 2

Since Emma turned 2 over a month ago, I suppose I should take the time to write about it sooner than later. On August 7th, Emma celebrated her 2nd birthday (and my brother turned the big 30, wow he is getting old :)) It was a typical toddler birthday, we opted out of having a big party and just kept it to a quiet family evening. That day we went to the park for a couple of hours and came home to make a cake. She really likes fish, so I tried my hand at making one. I have to say it turned out pretty good. The one issue was my frosting, I apparently made it a little too thin, so it ran a little more than I liked. But hey, it tasted good and Emma got excited every time she saw it.

She actually asked me to take this picture of her, she was kind enough to pose for it.


Yummy chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.




I think she was more fascinated with us trying to get her to blow out her candles, then to do it herself.

For dinner we made homemade mac and cheese, one of her favorites. Afterwards we went straight for the presents. It is so much fun to see a kid get excited about the littlest things. It makes you feel good as a parent to know you are buying them things they like (when they are babies, you just have to guess.) This year we kept it simple, we bought her a couple of books and a set of dishes/fake food. She was so excited with the food, that we had to bribe her into opening the other presents. She got a doll house from Grandma and Grandpa, and plastic Care Bears, and an aqua doodle mat from Oma and Opa. Everything was a big hit. I hope she feels like we do, that it couldn't have been a better 2 year birthday party. :)

Opening presents with Dad.

Whatever it was, it was yummy!

As you can see, there is a present behind her that she doesn't even care about.

As always it is hard to believe how fast the time is going. My little girl is getting so big so fast. And because she is getting older we are having to make some transitions. One of those being, no more binkie. She would only get it at nap times as it was, so it wasn't very hard to tell her it was gone for good. She would ask for it for about a week, but after I showed her that it was gone she did just fine. The other transition we made, just 2 weeks ago, was buying a big girl bed. For the most part everything seems to be fine. I honestly think I am having the harder time transiting to these "big kid" things than she is. I think I am still in denial that my baby is 2 and that I have another one on the way. Wow, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. My comfort is, I know this is how life is suppose to go, and there have been millions of others you have done it before me and they have come out alive. Naturally there are still doubts and concerns. Thankfully I have lots of great support to help me through.

8 comments:

Abby said...

Cute cake! Good job!! I love that picture of her just grinning from ear to ear completely oblivious to the unopened present behind her. :)

I'm amazed that she made the switch to a toddler bed so well. We unintentionally had Esther in one for the beginning of a night during our move last week. It did not go well. I'm thinking we'll potty train first. :) She seems more interested in that right now.

You will do great with two -- and with Emma getting older. You already are! :)

Crystal said...

Your cake is fantastic! We should hang out soon...

Ali said...

Happy Birthday Emma!!

Before Henry's arrival, I was so focused on Eliza, how a new sibling would effect her...etc. I was super emotional. Even after bringing Henry home, I was always waiting for a major melt down from her. It never happened. I had NO IDEA how much joy he'd bring not only us, but to Eliza. It's so incredibly worth it. In a sense, you know that already....but you are giving Emma the greatest gift; a sibling.

Melody said...

I love the fish cake! you did a great job.

She is so cute. Congrats on #2!

MariePhotographie said...

Happy Birthday, Emma! What a cutie pie. Looks like her party was super fun!

I thought some of those transitions were so hard, too. Especially potty training and the big girl bed. Bella did the bed thing just fine, but for some reason it was hard for me!

Oh, and your cake looks amazing!

Kira said...

I am very impressed with the cake...do you want to make Avey's? Can you really be old enough to have a 2 year old??

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

Wow! Happy Birthday Emma! You have had some fun times! And how sweet of Michael to give you such a fun welcome home! And congratulations- a baby boy!!! So wonderful!

Unknown said...

Happy B-day Emma!! Cute cake girl!! LOVE those toddler parties! They are so easy to please!