Emma and Jenna, both cute kitties
On Friday we had our ward chili cook off/trunk-or-treat party. That makes for day #2 of costumes and getting candy. Once again there were tons of people, and lots of crazy energy going around. But it was fun, we always have a good time with our friends.
Our cute Superman
Emma was the same black cat last year, but after she saw the costume this year she decided she wanted to be a cat again... easy for me.
Yum-o
Finally we made it to October 31st!! That afternoon we finally got around to carving our pumpkin. Emma was all into drawing a fun face on it, and naming it Elmo, but as soon as we cut the top off and started to gut it out she wanted nothing to do with it. We tried to convince her of how fun it would be, but instead, it was just too gross and sticky for her so she went and played with her stickers while Michael and I carved it. Maybe next year she will want to help more. I always thought gutting it out was the best part. That evening we got together with some friends for a BBQ and then while the guys took the kids out trick-or-treating, the women all sat in camping chairs and handed out candy. Sadly we still ended up with a lot of left over candy, apparently there aren't too many kids in their neighborhood. Oh well we still had fun eating the candy, or leftovers from the BBQ, and just hanging out.
Deep concentration

All the pumpkins (Elmo is third from the right) and women handing out candy
So in total my kids dressed up three times (Issac only twice) and by the third time Emma had enough. I was lucky to get her tail pinned on her and she wouldn't even let me touch her face to put on her nose and whiskers (although I can't blame her). With getting dressed up three times she also got to go trick-or-treating three times, which means a whole lot of candy!! Hopefully I can think of creative things to do with it, like Christmas advent calenders or something. I know eating all of it is a bad idea. :) I think we have had our fill of Halloween this year, and will see what next year has to bring us.
4 comments:
Looks like lots of fun! I think Emma makes an adorable kitty and how nice that you were able to get a break on doing a new costume this year!
This is the 3rd year we've done The Great Pumpkin (sometimes called Mr. Pumpkin). The first year we did it several days after Halloween, but usually we do it the night of Halloween. After the girls have collected all their candy (and been eating some...), we have them pick out 10 (the first year we actually said 5) pieces of candy each to save. The rest they leave in their buckets by the front door for The Great Pumpkin (noticing similarities to St. Nicholas day yet?) to come and take the candy. Then he leaves them something nice in return. We usually spend $10 total for all three girls. This year they got some $1 paint kits from Targets $1 section and three sidewalk paint guns that had been on clearance $2.50 each. They had a blast. I was surprised too this year because they brought up The Great Pumpkin on their own, as they were going through their candy in the van after the Trunk or Treat.
I've heard that sometimes you can donate candy to soldiers? And I'm sure there are other things you could do with the extra candy...I think making your own advent calendar is a fun idea! To be honest though, Eric and I usually end up finishing off their "Great Pumpkin" candy. :D
What a cute family pic!
Phew -- we made it through the festivities.
SUCH cute photos--I love Isaac's costume! I also love the picture of you eating with that enormous spoon. :)
Issac's superman costume was so cute! What to do with all of that left-over candy?? We've been eating ours, which means that Makenna has been eating lots of candy lately...probably not the best idea, but I can't seem to stay away from it! You'll have to let me know if you come up with some good ideas.
Post a Comment