Friday, February 22, 2008

My Big Girl


There have been a lot of thoughts running through my head about Emma lately. I am so grateful that she is part of my life. She has brought so much joy and meaning into our home. It is amazing the kind of spirit the comes into your home when a child is there. It amazes me how fast she is growing up. This last Sunday was her first day in Nursery. It is so weird to have a child in Nursery. Anyway, I was really nervous about how she would react to the situation. We had tried to get her ready for it. A couple Sunday's early, Michael took her to the nursery just for their 15 minutes of play time. She did well there until Michael stepped out of the room for a second, then she freaked out. I got even more nervous when we left her in a "kids class" during an adult activity. It took around 30 minutes and a lot of distractions to get her to stay then. So last Sunday came and while I was getting her ready for church I kept talking about Nursery and hoping that somehow I was putting positive and fun thoughts in her head about it. Of course she is only 18 months and I don't always know what she understands, but it was worth a shot. Well after sacrament meeting Michael went ahead and took her into the room, got her to play with the puzzles that are sitting on the table, and while Emma was looking at the other kids that were crying, he slipped out and we didn't hear from her again until after church. I was shocked!!! We were both expecting her to do fine for a little while, realize we were gone, freak out, and then hopefully calm down after 10 minutes. But she didn't freak out at all! Luckily the nursery has windows in the door that you can look through, so naturally I would try to peak, hoping she wouldn't see me. And every time I saw her she just looked so bewildered. She wasn't sure what to think of the whole situation. She was very curious about things, but also very cautious. It was pretty cute. I am so proud of her and all of the new things she is learning. I am just so grateful to be her mom. Now the big question is, will she do just as good next week? I guess only time will tell.
So I know the picture is pretty freaky looking, but she had so much fun putting her tights over her head, naturally we had to take a picture.

7 comments:

breckster said...

Justin and I are the junior nursery leaders in our ward, so I have a little soap box here to stand on. YOU DID THE PERFECT THING! :) Talk positive about nursery, all week long so the child will look forward to it. The parent that just say, "here's nursery! have fun!" and leave, have the kids that find something to play with and are content. Thats not to say that after an hour or so those kids don't start asking for mom and dad, because they do. The children with parents who are nervous for them are the ones that cry and scream, and bang on the door, which is always opened with the parent on the other side willing to take them to class with them.

I think its easy to forget that nursery is a class, its not babysitting or play group. There is (supposed to be) a lesson and prayers and singing... and the play time is to make sure the kids aren't over loaded.

Oh, and, she's a cutie!

Rae said...

My mom would love this picture as much as I do! (We used to...*ahem...put nylons on our heads. And laugh 'til we cried.)

Kirstin said...

Isn't it crazy to have a nursery age kid!? Lia was fine the first couple weeks, then she got a cold (from nursery, surprise surpirse) and couldn't go for a couple times. When she went back, that's when she freaked out. It was weird, but she's ok. She's even been sick at least two more times and doesn't have the same reaction. Yeay for nursery!

Tiffany said...

I love the peepholes in the door! Although I always feel a little self-conscious if another adult is in the area while I keep looking through the peephole.

Ali said...

The "moving on" to Nursery was more dramatic for me than I thought. Eliza adjusted without any problems. The only time they "pull me out" is when she has pooped (why they don't find Andrew instead is beyond me!)... anyway, I get such a thrill when it's time to go pick her up and am a hugely ecstatic to display whatever craft or picture she has created... Anna, isn't being a Mom of a nursery age toddler such a beautiful thing? Congrats on the milestone - and for all you cynics out there - it is a milestone!!

Eli said...

Yeah! We are glad she did so well...here's hoping for next week!

Tilane said...

That is a nice look! We have pictures from this past Christmas of my family looking like that.