Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Potty Training 101

Alright, I have been trying to get myself to potty train Emma for at least the last two months. She has been showing a lot of really positive signs that she is ready for it, and the thought of only have one kid in diapers at a time sounds like heaven. However, I have learned that when it comes to potty training the parent has to be ready just as much as the toddler, and apparently I haven't been ready (as evidence by the fact that it has taken me this long to even start.) Well I have finally set a date, I am going to start the week after Thanksgiving, and pray that it goes smoothly.
With that said, I am wondering if any of you more experienced mother's out there have any tips, or advice when it comes to this. I have been doing some reading to get ideas, but other than that I am completely clueless. Please if you have any great tips on what work for your kids, please share. Thanks a ton, and wish me luck. :)

4 comments:

Emnacnud said...

i used a book called potty train in less then a day and it really worked well. if you are interested i can find the actual title for you. when it comes down to it you are right you have to make sure both of you are ready.

Kirstin said...

So I was super scared myself, so it has taken way too long to start, and she was there until Miriam was born. Be prepared that Emma might regress once your baby comes. Also, from all the experts I asked, let her be in charge. Give her the incentives, set up times to help her, but don't push. If she wants to, cheer her on and it'll be a positive experience. If she is pushed, it will be negative and take a lot longer. Lia has decided to wear panties the last few days and has been clean the whole time. BEST OF LUCK. THIS IS A BIG STEP.

Crystal said...

I know we've talked about this whole PT thing before, but I think consistency is key. I bet Emma will do great though! I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised at how smoothly she makes the transition.

Good luck!!

~ kietra ~ said...

Hi and you don't know me- I'm a friend of Kirstin- the only piece of advice I would offer is to wait until after you have your baby! It is stressful on little kids and you'll have to totally re-potty train if you do it this close to having a baby. Another thing I would recommend is that YOU take her often- we set the timer for every hour- so she can feel succesful and more likely to go again. Best of luck!!