Monday, November 24, 2008

Sometimes Bad Things Happen...

This last week has been one filled with a number of emotions. It has been close to one of the hardest and most emotional weeks of my life, I am sure being pregnant hasn't helped that out any. The week started off just fine, we have been preparing for our Thanksgiving and also a visit from my dad for the weekend. He had some business here in San Antonio, and was luckily enough to take the weekend off and spend it with us. We also were dealing with a mild break-out of hand-foot-to mouth disease with Emma, it was unfortunately going around our nursery, but like I said Emma was blessed with only a mild case of it. She only had 20 bumps or so, and it lasted for just a few days. It was Wednesday when the craziness happened.
I had a regular check-up later that morning, so I spent the earlier part trying to quickly clean my house, since my dad was flying in that afternoon. Anyway, the appointment went just fine, I even took Emma with me, and she did great. I did get in trouble for not drinking enough water, and maybe over exerting myself (I lost weight instead of gaining.) Other than that, the heart beat and everything else is looking right on. On the way back from the Dr, I called my dad to find out he was already here and was just meeting with his colleagues to get some things finalized for their meeting on Thursday, but he would be over at my place in the next hour or so. However, that all changed when I drove down our street to find that my garage door was opened. We have a dumb door that sometimes doesn't like to close, but I new that I had checked that it was down before I drove off, so I was getting nervous. When I pulled in I saw that the door leading into the house was pried open, and a couple of other doors were opened, that I new were closed when I left. By this point I began freaking out, I timidly went into my home, calling to see if anyone was there and luckily found that there was no one, but could tell someone indeed had broken in. My back door frame was broken, where they had kicked it in, and on immediate look I could tell my DVD player was missing. Naturally at this point I was really freaking out and really had no clue as to what I was to do. Emma was sleeping in the van, did I just take her and run, did I call 911 or some other police number, what was a suppose to do? I was clueless. I commend people in these kind of situations that know how to keep their composure, obviously I am not one of them. I did immediately call my dad in hysterics, shaking like a leaf, trying to tell him that someone broke in. He was able to calm me down enough to tell me to call 911, duh, and that he would be over as quickly as possible. So, I was able to call and within ten minutes had an officer was at my door. I also called Michael, and he was coming home immediately. I am so grateful that my dad was here, for that added support, and I am so grateful that I have a loving and supportive husband, and that both can just drop everything to be with me.
When the officer came, once again I start to loose it, but he was very supportive and had me sit down until I was calm enough to talk. On further inspection with him, I discovered that they took our DVD player, Wii, with games and remotes, all my CDs, all the DVDs, our laptop, and camera, a total of $3000-$4000 worth of stuff. They also tore apart our bedroom, they took the mattress off the box spring, dumped all of our clothes out, ripped the top of my jewelry box off, and threw some things down in our closet. However, nothing was missing from there. When they didn't find money, gold, drugs, real fine jewelery, or maybe a hand gun, they decided we were cheap and ran off. Everyone guess is that it was some stupid teenagers, seeing what they took. The evidence detective found two small finger prints, but they were so smudged he wasn't too hopeful that they tell them anything, and they probably were mine or Emma's anyway. All in all it could have been a lot worse, I could have been here, completely unable able to defend myself, they could have broken a ton of stuff, and they could have taken a lot more. When all is said and done the hardest thing for us to part with is all of the DVDs and CDs we had. There are so many memories attached to those, including our wedding video, that it hurts to see them gone. I can always replace the electronics, but some of the other things I can't. So, right now I am REALLY praying hard for a miracle that the Lord might find a way to give us those things back. I know my chances are small, but I am still praying.
While the officer was here he had to leave for a second, because they got another call on a house in our neighborhood. Luckily for them they had an alarm system that went off when they kicked in the door and it spooked them off. Can I tell you I have a new found testimony on alarm systems now. We will be sure to have the one that was installed by the previous owner turned on in the very near future.
When all is said and done we are sad for our lose, pray for a miracle, but are truly grateful that none of us are hurt, that my dad was here, that they didn't take more than they did, and that we have very little concern that they will ever come back (seeing they took everything of real monetary value.) It was a very scary experience and you come away feeling very violated. This is my home and when some intrudes on it, it is very offensive. It is sad that sometimes, no matter how prepared we can be, that bad things happen to good people.
On another note, even with the robbery, we were able to enjoy a fun weekend with my dad. We were able to run errands together, he bought us a few things to replace our stolen items, talk a ton, Michael and him were able to play golf, he took us out for dinner at Rudy's (an early birthday treat for me), play games, and listen to a really depressing BYU vs. Utah game. It was so nice to have him here, and hope that he will be back with my Mom when the baby is born.
And then our final emotional experience of the week, after over 2 years serving as Young Men's president, we were informed 10 minutes before church started, that Michael was being released. It was a really good calling for him, he learned a lot and gained a great love for his boys (the hardest part of leaving). However, with everything that is up coming in our lives, a new baby, continually applying for MBA school, our move next summer, etc. it will be nice to have one less stress out of the way.
I know the Lord's hand is in our lives. I don't understand why somethings happen, but I know I am loved and looked after, and even with all of these things I can still feel peace and gratitude for who I am and what I have.

12 comments:

Krista said...

Oh, Anna! What a scary experience!!! We've had quite a few break ins in our neighborhood and I've been thinking a lot about how much I would freak out. I'm so glad your dad was able to be there when he was!! Let us know if you need a tv or dvd player or anything to get you by!!

And I think, once you've worked with the young men (or young women), you'll always work with the young men. Whether it's official or not! Michael seemed like he did an awesome job with them and I'm sure they will all miss seeing him as much!! But I'm glad you get your hubby back a bit with all the things you guys have going on!!

Tres`ni said...

Really glad to hear everyone is okay. That would be a harrowing experience for sure, and I'm glad that's not something we've had to deal. I think you handled it just fine though!

Unknown said...

Wow - what a week! Highs and lows - sorry to hear about your break-in - that would be truly scary - but it was good that your dad was there and hubby has a job where he can leave at a moments notice. I am sure that the important things you lost will return to you in one way or another...
I understand how Michael feels about the release from the YM program - those youth just get under your skin in both good and bad ways but oh what fun those callings are!! I was released from YW here last summer and it is fun to see that I still have a connection with most of them - I get hugs from a few of them each Sunday - or whenever else I see them. I know that Michael probably touched their lives more than he'll ever know. Thanks for the update - our prayers are with you and that the robbery will not affect you any more than it has. love ya!

MariePhotographie said...

Man! What a nightmare. I would have freaked too! Yikes. I'm so sorry. I really admire your wonderful attitude and faith. I know God hears your prayers and cares about you. I hope you get your wedding video back--things like that just can't be replaced.

Rae said...

Oh, Anna! I am so, so, sorry to hear that. I'm SO glad that you weren't there, and that you and yours are physically intact--that is definitely a blessing. I think that must have been a tender mercy of the Lord that your Dad was on his way over, and that you were able to have help very quickly, and that the thieves weren't there still when you came home. Oh, I'm loving you and wishing I could be there to hug you!

Crystal said...

So so scary! What a violation!! I'm so happy to hear that you & Emma weren't home when they broke in.

What is Mike's new calling? Who is the new YM Pres?

Mickelmonkey Mama said...

Holy Cow! That is so awful! You inspired me to call ADT today and get my own alarm installed. I can't even imagine that. I'm glad that you were able to have good help there for you. Take care!
Rachel

Christine said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you guys are safe and weren't around when that happened. Thank goodness your Dad was around and could offer that extra support I'm sure was needed. Hope you guys are okay and you'll be in our prayers.

Angie said...

I'm sorry Anna. I would have been terrified, and to think just a few months ago that would have been a little too close to home. I hope you are able to retrieve some of your memorable things. Take care and set that alarm!! We never had ours monitored there either, but I would now for sure.

jenny said...

Anna that is terrible! I am so sorry to hear that not to mention close to a holiday. I am wondering if Bones would have freaked them out or barked at them if we were next to you? At any rate yes to get the alarm fixed we never monitored ours either, but you can never be to safe.

Glad you dad was around for support. Hope you guys have a great holiday!

Doug was just called to YM President when we moved here. I am sure it would be a bitter sweet thing for him to be released as well. He really LOVES those boys.

KellyJ said...

I'm thinking of you, Anna---I'm glad you're in our family---and so glad that you and Emma are safe! A man in our ward owns the local pawn shop....I watn to call him and have him watch out for your wedding video! :)

Kira said...

I am shocked and saddened and feeling violated for you also. You are right - it could be worse, but it could be better. I am so sorry. I will pray for you to recover some of those memorable items.