We have made it a family tradition every year to go apple picking. So I was really excited with I found a place here just 30 minutes away. It is a smaller orchard, really known mostly for their peaches in the summer, called Jone's Orchard in Millington, TN. They only had one variety of apple called Arkansas Black and it was harder to find larger ones, but somehow we managed to still get two half bushel baskets full and have fun in the process. Now the next best part is turning them into applesauce.
The last few years I have spent many hours peeling and coring each apple before cooking it, then pulsing the apples, in a number of batches, in my blender to make applesauce, before cooking it again and finally canning them in jars. To my amazement, after talking to my mom, I discovered that there is a cool hand cranked machine called a food strainer, most popular brand is known as the Victorio Strainer, that allows you to cook your apples with skin and cores still on. You then put your cooked apples through it and it sorts out the bad stuff while making the good stuff all for you!! When I learned of this I knew I had to get one. However, when I found out it was $70 I started second guessing the real NEED for one. I know it is a good investment, but I also know I can peel them myself, and I know we are trying to save up for some other real big ticket items so I couldn't find myself spending the money right now. My next plan was to ask some women in my ward if I could borrow one from them, sadly no one I asked had one. I then had the feeling that I should go do Goodwill and test my luck there. On first walk through I was sadly disappointed, however when I walked around the kitchen isles for a second time, what did my eyes behold but a food strainer!! I was in disbelief. Now it wasn't a Victorio, so I approached it with reservations thinking it is going to be missing a piece, it won't work for apples, etc. On further inspection, however, I found that it had never been used, can work for any cooked fruit/ vegetable, and was only $5!! For all of that it, it was worth it. Now, I haven't used it yet and it is a bit small, but I am thanking my father in heaven regardless for being mindful of me even with something as small as a food strainer! I can't wait to use it and see how it works!
1 comment:
Fun! I'm excited to go too and I know what you mean about peeling and coring - I've gotten really good at doing it by hand! I can't believe Lizzy had blonde hair. Then again, I can. She looks so cute! I hope you are enjoying your new place!
Post a Comment