Yesterday was a hard day for us, here in the Hull house. First off Michael has been hanging on to this weird cold for a long time. He has been really weak, and feeling cold, and really not able to do a whole lot. Still he has been trying to plug along at home and at work. And work has been busy recently. At the end of every year the finance team has to put a huge presentation together for the board members of the company. They basically plan all of next year's finances. (I would try to explain more, but I don't really get all of that stuff :) ) Really it's a lot of work and last year, the week before the meeting they worked 100 hours. Luckily it's not that bad this year. Anyway, so Michael has been working late a number of days the last few weeks, which naturally makes it a challenge to get over a cold. It also makes it a challenge to do things for my birthday. So with all of that background my day ran as follows: I got up and Michael started making me my choice of breakfast, oatmeal and toast. He then went to work and Emma and I went for a walk. After our walk, and Emma having a hard time going down for her nap, which isn't normal, I cleaned the bathrooms and the kitchen. (so this was my choice, my visiting teachers were coming today and I already had the other half of the house clean, so I wanted to finish) Then during the rest of the afternoon and evening, I put the finishing touches on the cake I made the night before, made my birthday dinner, and tried not cry while fixing a beautiful wooden ornament Emma broke. After all of that I was hopping to at least have the dinner with Michael. Unfortunately, as before mentioned, work was busy and Michael was going to come for the end of dinner. Well, as he was in the car, on his way home, his boss calls him and wants him to come back to work, even with Michael feeling sick as a dog. (Needless to say his manager is a great person, and really knows their stuff, but as a manager they are awful!) So, instead of eating dinner as a family, I had dinner on my "you are special today" birthday plate by myself, well Emma was there, but you know what I mean.
So, Michael finally got home after 8, while I was giving Emma her bath. After the bath, and few upsetting tears shed, I sat with Michael as he tried to eat something. And finally at 9pm we put some candles on my cake, tried to sing "Happy Birthday", and ate my cake.


As far as presents go, I knew what they were, since I picked them out with Michael on Saturday; but instead of seeing them on our dresser I could actually wear them and watch it.

Real pearls!
A family favorite, which we watched to end the day.
Needless to say, it was an interesting day, birthday or not. And poor Michael, it really wasn't his fault, even if there were times in the day when I wanted to blame him. I don't think I have ever seen him so hurt and mad. Thank goodness for more birthdays!!
However, even with that roller coaster there were some good things. Michael's parents called me and I was able to talk to my mother-in-law for 30 minutes are so. Which really was enjoyable. She is a joy to talk too, I have been blessed with good in laws. And they have a present on the way for me. Also my parents called me from Germany, making it possible for me to talk to Oma for a couple of minutes. On top of that a couple of friends randomly called, came by, or sent me an email wishing me a happy birthday. All of which brightened my day. Plus, since we anticipated a crazy work week, Michael took me out last weekend to the Cheesecake factory, yummy!!!! Afterwards we went to Lowe's and bought a real Christmas tree. All in all it has been an interesting birthday. But I really am so blessed, and shouldn't complain. I really am not looking for any sympathy, I am sure after this post you aren't convinced of that, but since this is in a way my journal, I just wanted to spill the beans.
Yummy, yummy!!
Our beautiful tree. And yes all of the ornaments are on the top half of the tree. Oh Emma!
7 comments:
Next year will be better! I won't say more since we talked about it on the phone today. :)
Your tree is BEAUTIFUL!! And I love the new style of decorating! Funny, our tree is done in that style too. :-)
Love you!
Yeah, our tree looks very similar too :)
I had no idea it was your birthday. Aren't best friends supposed to know these things? ;) Sorry you're day wasn't fabulous. Don't you hate when life gets in the way?
Beautiful necklace & earrings!
Crystal, you're right best friends should know each other's birthday. I didn't tell you mine, my bad. But when is your's?
Haha!! Mine's March 3.
Happy Birthday, Anna! Hope next year is better! And I hated turning 25 too. Horrible. We're so old. To think I'm fast-approaching 26. Yuck. :)
Oh you young people - just enjoy it! Happy Birthday Anna! You still look like you did a few years ago when you were here in Oakley! Sounds like your birthday was memorable to say the least. Lovely pearls though!
Beautiful pearls! I understand where you're coming from having kind of a bummer day. Hazen came home 3 days before my birthday (yay!) But in the rush, everyone remembered him more than my day, and I didn't get one present. Boo hoo. Next year I'll milk it for all it's worth. Especially since we might be somewhere unique for my birthday. That's all I'm allowed to say right now, but stay tuned for a VERY exciting announcement in the next month or so!
Post a Comment