Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Goofing Off

Since are kind neighbors are moving this summer, they offered to give us their swing set. It was either taking it from them or they would tear it down. And I am always up for free things, especially if it is something to help entertain Emma. Slowly Michael and I have been putting the big pieces back together and fixing a few minor bumps in it to make a little more toddler friendly, the neighbors' kids are a little older. Emma has really enjoyed having it. She will go up and down the slid a few dozen times, say hi to the neighbors' dog, which she can now see, and swing for a while. It has been nice to have something outside for her to do, other than just an open lawn. Thanks neighbors!


Before



After

Enjoying the fruits of our labors

After playing outside for awhile I decided that I wanted to make some homemade play dough for Emma. I have such fun memories of playing with it as a child, and thought Emma would do the same. A couple of days earlier I tried a recipe that didn't work so well, but then I found this one online and it worked great! We had all sorts of fun making shapes, snakes, and whatevers. And I was impressed Emma didn't try to eat it that often, as soon as she would lick it, she realized how gross it really was.

I liked using the kool-aid, it made the color really bright

The joys of being a kid

9 comments:

jenny said...

We're glad you are enjoying it! And I am so happy that you were willing to take it off our hands. Total win/win situation! My kids literally spent hours on it for the first few years. Well, then they got older :)

I haven't made homemade play dough in years (well since I was a nursery leader) Did you know they do have edible kinds you can make? Doesn't sound appealing, but at least you wouldn't have to worry.

Abby said...

The swing-set looks great! That's so awesome that your neighbors just gave it to you. Those things can be EXPENSIVE.

I'm going to try that playdough recipe! I've always wished the colors were brighter when I did homemade playdough so this'll be fun. And I noticed Jenny mentioned edible playdough - if you decide you want to try some, I've got a recipe for peanut butter playdough. I'm sure you could find several online too though. I think I like the non-edible types better just because we don't have to make it every time they want to play with it. :)

Kirstin said...

Wow! What a hook up! Great to have things like that so close. Emma is such a cutie!

Tiffany said...

I'm so jealous of your swing set! We almost bought a house that came with one but then someone else put in a better bid before us. Phooey! But that's really exciting for you guys to get one.

Peter loves playing with play-doh. I've never really had problems with him eating it but I was babysitting a friend's little boy and he could not stop eating it. I guess every kid is different.

Unknown said...

my cousin uses that playdough recipe and she says that she loves it because it vacuums up nicely - doesn't get ground into the carpet and flooring - also congrats on the big score!! free stuff is good!

Crystal said...

Nice!! Swing sets are the best. And I should make some play doh too. Thanks everyone for the tips!

MariePhotographie said...

Wow! Lucky Emma! That big toy is awesome!

MariePhotographie said...

Wow! Lucky Emma! That big toy is awesome!

Rae said...

Hey, Anna! I just realized I hadn't checked your blog for forever....honestly, I just need to do Google Reader! But anyway, what an AWESOME backyard play set! So jealous! (Not really--very happy for you and for Emma.) I love the play-dough, very colorful. I love how she's really concentrating on it.