Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What's Up

So I have been putting this post off for a long time for a number of dumb excuses. To begin with, I wanted to make it all cute with lots of pictures and funny stories, but when I go to blog I remember that Isaac shares a room with the computer that has all of the pictures; and while I know I can just upload them to my blog and write the post on the laptop, or I can email the pictures to myself etc, etc, I just keep forgetting to do it when he is awake. So this blog is going to be picture-less and probably a little boring, but at least I finally got around to writing why I haven't posted very frequently lately, and why are lives are extremely busy.
Let's start at the beginning. About a year ago Michael studied long and hard, and took the GMAT, the prep test for business school, and got a 750/800, or in other words, a VERY VERY good score. We then proceeded to spend the next 5 months applying to various business schools, including: Harvard, Dartmouth, Boston College, Michigan, Virginia, Nortre Dame, and Indiana University. And at the same time of all of that we welcomed the arrival of our handsome baby boy. We then spent the next few months getting our responses, I will spare the details of who said what and how much. But after much prayer and fasting our decision landed us on Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. After that decision, was when the fun really began.
We then spent the next 4 months or so prepping and beautifying our house, so it's on the standard to sell in this "price war and beauty contest market" as our realtor put. Thankfully Michael's dad was willing and generous to fly down here in April and help us with some major projects, number one thing being replacing our nasty carpet. His dad also helped us paint two rooms, fix our garage door, paint the front door, landscape the front for more curb appeal, help us patch the ceiling from when Michael did this, finish installing our new french doors because of when this occurred, and various other household projects. Thanks Dad Hull you were life saver!!!!
And then on May 1st our house was officially on the market, and life has been insane ever since. Since May 1st we have had 38 showings, and 2 (not very good) offers. The house needs to be in constant "show" mode, and with 2 kids that is not the easiest thing to do. I feel bad for Emma, I have been such a bear when it comes to leaving things out. I will admit I like a clean and orderly house, but this is ridiculous!! I mean I can't even leave a knife in the sink without going nuts. While it has felt like forever that we have had our house on the market, we know we are in good hands, and that it will eventually sell. I mean 38 showings is a ton, and with today's market being what it is, being listed for less than 60 days is still really good. Our problem right now is, we are running out of time. We are moving the end of July (about 4 weeks) and that's about the shortest amount of time it takes to close on a house, and we really don't want to deal with the house once we move. Also what's hard is, we can't start packing yet. Everything has to look "perfect" until we sell, for some reason people are just not attracted to a house full of boxes. :)
The Lord is certainly testing my faith and patience, two things I have ALWAYS struggled with (probably why I keep getting tested on them, some day I might just get it.) So, long story short (too late), life has been a bit topsy turvy. But we are looking forward to the change, expect for the part of leaving so many wonderful friends, and thanks to nice people we have never met before we have a place lined up in Bloomington that we are excited about. I still do have lots of cute pictures to post and hope to get to those soon. Until then we are alive and doing well.

6 comments:

Rae said...

I pray that your house sells soon--that can't be easy at all, keeping it showing-perfect with kids in the house, not to mention the daily detritus of just LIVING!

Abby said...

We're praying for you guys. It'll happen!

I'm excited to see more pictures of my niblings. :D We've talked about that word right? You have siblings and then they have your niblings...nieces and nephews...Anyway...They're growing up way too fast and too far away!! Someday we'll remedy that (at least the far away part).

Anna said...

Niblings, no we haven't talked about that word, but I love it! And yes we will remedy the far way part someday, no question.
Thanks for the prayers, they are certainly needed and felt.

MariePhotographie said...

Wow! That was quite the update. I hoep your house sells quick! And good luck with the move!!

Kerstin said...

Keeping a house staged is no fun at all! I hope you get an amazing offer SOON!

Kira said...

Wow! Now I don't feel AS bad for not calling to catch up...you have not had time either! You have by now just moved - again! I hope it has all gone well...Isaac and Emma are VERY cute kids...must take after their mother! I hope the house sold and everyone is surviving as you move into a new place and Michael prepares to be a student again. Good luck!