Thursday, May 8, 2008

New Stage in Life

Apparently we have hit a new stage in life. While I have been sitting here reading everyone's wonderful blogs and thinking of what I should write about it, thinking Emma was napping, I hear someone knocking on Emma's door. Normally when Emma doesn't want to fall asleep I just hear my name. Not today. Emma has learned how to climb out of her crib! I knew this day would come, I was just hoping it would take a little longer. Emma loves to climb all over things and in the last couple of weeks I have watched her climb on the outside bars of crib, but never being able to figure out how to quite get her legs over. Well, at last she has figured it all out. In the last 20 minutes she got out twice, and almost did it a third but I caught her in the act. I have to say I am impressed with her skills, and she is pretty proud of her own accomplishments. (and gratefully she still doesn't know how to open the door, but I am sure that will come next.)The unfortunate part of all this is, now how do I get her to stay in? Do any of you guys have any suggestions! I was hoping to wait a while before we jumped into a toddler bed, and if she gets out of crib, wouldn't she get out of a bed even more? I need HELP!!

10 comments:

Christine said...

My sister Tammy got a crib tent thing which you put on top of the crib and it's made of netting so they can still see out and all they just can't get out. She said that worked wonderfully for a while. I've seen them before at Once Upon a Child but I bet Babies 'R' Us would have them too. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I wanna see! I wanna see! I guess I can wait until I get home. By the way, a net would work, but one of my coworkers suggested a chain link top. I told him that would make it a cage, so we couldn't do that.

jenny said...

Luckily I only had one of my kids do this and it was #4. But I do have a friend that had that exact same issue with her twins and she bought that net you can get at babies are us and it worked like a charm. Good luck!

MariePhotographie said...

If you don't want to buy the net thing, I would just put her back in her bed every time and eventually she'll realize that when she gets up you're just gonna put her right back down and she won't get up anymore...at least that worked with Bella. Although Bella did sneak her way to the stairs and fall asleep there a lot. haha, good luck!

Abby said...

I agree with Marie. If you don't want to do the net, just camp out with a book at the outside of her bedroom door and put her back until it clicks...

I think it'll probably take a couple of weeks. Do you have a good book? :)

Good luck!

J.Reed said...

Unfortunately there comes a time when we all have to go to the 'big kid bed' but really if you think about it shes getting out of bed anyway so you might as well make it safer. :o) I knew someone who put a childproof door opener (i cant think of what its called) on the inside of the door so that her son couldn't get out of his room. Good luck

Eli said...

Two words: leg irons.

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

my only suggestion is consistency with whatever you decide to do with that little climbing cutie and her naps!

Ali said...

Get her into a bed, crib accidents can be scary (according to my pediatrician).

We didn't buy a toddler bed (we're cheap like that). We bought a twin mattress and leave it on the floor without the box spring so if she rolls out, she doesn't fall far.

Anyway, first day in her bed, she popped out a few times and I continually walked her back to her bed. Really, we were blessed with an easy transition.

I shut her door at naptime/bedtime and she knocks on it when she's awake. I could go into more details if you decide to take this approach.

Eliza never climbed out of her crib. But we needed it vacant for her brother. She made the change at 19 months, or so.

OMA AND OPA said...

Be tough! and don't make a game out of it. She will get the idea that you really mean what you say. This can become a teaching moment.
Love ya, anunt oma :)