Because of this close relationship it has been hard to be so far away from her for so long, especially since the time I saw her last I have met and married Michael and have had 3 children. (Due to her health she was not able to fly to our wedding.) Basically for the last 7 years I have been wanting to get to Germany to have her meet Michael, and the feelings would just get stronger with every additional child. I knew time was running out and would pray nearly daily that we would find a way to get there before she might past away. Because of these strong feelings Michael and I finally decided it was time to make a few sacrifices and find a way to get our family to Germany. With the new job and higher income we finally thought we could make it work, that is until plane tickets sky rocketed and we were looking at spending $1300/ticket, even a year in advance. Once again my dreams were shattered as there was just no way we could afford that. However, in God's tender mercies and the great love of my in-laws, they just happened to find AMAZING skymile tickets coming in and out of Memphis at the perfect time of year. So with a bit of negotiating with them we were able to get the whole family tickets to Germany. I can't even begin to thank them enough. And to seal the deal my parents were able to make it work so they would be there at the same time. It was a fantastic 13 days!
Day 1- Wednesday, June 6th
We flew into Germany after a 3.5 hour flight to Detroit and an 8 hour flight to Germany. Thanks to modern portable technology, snacks, and a lot of things to do, the kids did really well. We were able to meet my dad at the airport and get our rental car.
We then drove to Oma's house where I had the happiest reunion ever. We then ate a delicious brotchen breakfast, oh how I missed the food. We then went to the Duncan's, our old family friends who had the perfect little upstairs apartment they let us stay at. Mom and I did a little grocery shopping at the Penny Mart across the street and called it a day.
Day 2- Thursday, June 7th
Due to the jet lag we all slept in a bit, had a yummy breakfast and waited until Mom and Dad came. We then played outside for a little bit, ate lunch, took naps and then went to the Heidelberg Castle, which is where we had prom at every year. Man, how was I so lucky?!?!
For dinner we went to McDonald's, boring I know, but I was able to get the REAL orange Fanta, that was yummy. :)
| The Duncan's House |
| The castle's courtyard. They use to do a musical called "The Student Prince" here, and Eric, my brother, was one of the students in it for a summer. |
| The Church is called Heiligengeist Kirche, and I sang in there for our high school baccalaureate. |
| One of the world's largest wine barrels. They used it to collect wine that people paid as taxes. |
To be continued...
1 comment:
oh Anna, I am so glad you got to go back and visit, glad my parents where able to help out and that they got to see your cute family I am excitedly waiting to hear the whole trip. I loved being able to show Joe and the kids where I grew up, it was fun for him to finally see all the places I had talked about.
Post a Comment