Friday, August 24, 2012

Germany- Day 9 and 10

Day 9- Thursday, June 14th

We had a lot of fun driving up to Worms, where Oma lives, so we could go to the Tiergarten, which is basically a small petting zoo. Once it again it was one of those places that I went to when I was a kid, and even my Mom went to it as a kid. Oh how I love memories like that.  We bought 4 boxes of food so we could feed the goats and sheep. The kids had a blast, although it might have taken them a bit to warm up to the idea of a large sheep grabbing food out of their hands. Well I guess I should say Emma and Isaac took some time warming up, Lizzie on the other hand had no problems. She had so much fun feeding and petting any animal we would let her get close too, it was pretty hilarious. Other than the sheep and goats, we also saw deer, pigs, meerkats, turtles, monkeys and a number of other animals. We enjoyed another delicious bratwurst lunch and had the kids play at the park. It was the perfect size zoo for our family and we had a ton of fun being there.
On the way home we stopped by the Ikea for fun, since the closest one to us is over 6 hours away in Atlanta. Michael had fun driving on the autobahn, driving the car as fast as he could, although he did that every time we were on the autobahn and the speed limit signs were off. (I miss Germany driving!) Then we came home, had dinner and stopped by the Italian ice cream man for dessert one last time.




Oh give me a kiss! (I didn't really)














Love birds

That is 161 kph, which is about 100mph. We sadly never got it on camera , but his fastest was 185 kph which is around 115mph. :)

Day 10- Friday, June 15th  (no pictures)

I took Emma with me to buy brotchen, which was just lots of fun for me, and of course was very yummy. Then we met Dad at the Aqudadrom in Hockenheim. The Aquadrom is a very large swimming pool that I use to go to a TON growing up. I am so sad that the States has not picked up on the idea of pools like they have in Germany. They have around 8 pools indoors which include, a baby pool, salt water, lap pool, diving boards, a sauna, a large slide, and just a general fun pool. Then outside you have a wave pool, another slide, and a few others. You could play here for hours! What is also nice is you don't have to pay for some dumb gym membership to play at them, you pay as you come. Oh I so wish they had places like that here!! Needless to say the kids LOVED it, it was their favorite activity. Thinking about it now, we are so glad we did this at the end of our trip because if we had done it earlier they would have begged to go everyday.
After the pool we came home for lunch and naps. We then realized that the craziness of the trip had finally manifested itself in Lizzie, she woke up with a fever. I guess a 16 month old can only handle so many naps in cars and laps. However, we had already planned on going out to dinner with the few couples that were left in Germany from when I was kid, and had a babysitter all planned. We decided that we were still going to go and left Lizzie in good hands. We did have a great time. We ate at an outdoor cafe with the most perfect weather, ate really yummy food, and Michael was even able to watch some Euro cup soccer since they had it playing on big screens outside. It really sealed the deal on German experiences I wanted to Michael to have. I have lots of fond memories of outdoor eating on beautiful summer evenings. Thankfully the kids and our babysitter were all doing fine when we got back later.


1 comment:

Emnacnud said...

Aqudadrom was the BEST, I so wish they had pools like that here too. So much fun.